By / Published UTC
Day 1 of my #100DaysOfCode! The first day is always exciting.
Today I finished writing the contact app for my blog (this one you're reading!) and tried to deploy it... and the trouble started.
First off, git wouldn't pull because of some sort of merge conflict. I hate when it does that. It forced me to commit a bunch of changes
locally on the server which weren't important and when I tried to pull from my remote repository to update the code on the server it refused saying some issue
with merge that I didn't understand. I wish git understood that the repository on that server is NOT for COMMITTING things, it is for PULLING things! Gawd dammit.
Don't worry, that was only the first problem of the day. Next up, I decided to delete the git repository and make a new one, pull, and restart gunicorn. Only then
all you saw on the website was a bad gateway error. Oops. Quickly I went to check out my issue on the server and then my virtualenv had just disappeared?! So I had to create
a new one, and then pip install django, gunicorn, whitenoise, Pillow, etc and manage.py makemigrations, collectstatic, migrate. That took long enough.
Then finally I did runserver and everything seemed to work. Exit out of that, restart gunicorn... YES! IT'S BACK! Feature successfully rolled out!
The feature is contact requests, a system where users can submit a contact request, then I can go into a dashboard only signed in staff can access, and view these requests, follow up by
email, or delete them if they're dupes or spam.
Nothing is more satisfying than rolling out a feature you've worked hard on - and managing to make it all work without a tutorial!!!
Afterwards, later today, I started developing another project. A website where anonymous users can upload images and share them easily with a link. I'll reveal
more about that later in development. Anyways, that's it for today, see you tomorrow!
I'll send you weekly updates on my #100DaysOfCode as well as normal blog posts if you sign up.
This is an advertisement.